Clipping de Relações Internacionais

Venezuelan TV boss flees ‘regime of terror’

  • Rory Carroll in Caracas
  • guardian.co.uk, Thursday 17 June 2010 08.33 BST
  • Head of last opposition TV station, Globovisión, goes into hiding to avoid arrest warrant he says is politically motivated

    The head of Venezuela‘s last opposition television station has fled the country to avoid an arrest warrant and accused President Hugo Chávez of a “reign of terror”.

    Guillermo Zuloaga, the majority shareholder and CEO of Globovisión, said he was the victim of political persecution and that Venezuela no longer enjoyed democracy or the rule of law.

    “The government tries to maintain an external democratic facade but every day it is more difficult. In Venezuela we are living under a regime of terror,” he told the Guardian in an email interview from an undisclosed location.

    Zuloaga, 67, went into hiding last Friday after authorities issued an arrest warrant for him and one of his sons, also named Guillermo, over charges of usury and conspiracy in relation to a car dealership they own.

    The TV boss said it was a trumped up charge and that he was going to be jailed in La Planta, a riot-scarred prison in the capital, Caracas.

    “It was the president who directly ordered my detention on radio and TV. I don’t think there could have been clearer evidence of the lack of judicial independence and the impossibility of a fair trial.”

    Earlier this week Chávez denied any involvement and said the courts were merely doing their job. Last week, however, he complained that Zuloaga was free despite making inflammatory comments about him, after which the attorney general re-activated a 2009 case which accused Zuloaga of “illegally storing” 24 new Toyota vehicles to manipulate prices.

    The US state department expressed concern over freedom of speech in Venezuela and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, a pan-regional group, said media harassment was growing in the run-up to September’s legislative election.

    The fate of Globovisión hangs in the balance. A minority shareholder, Nelson Mezerhane, has been in Florida since a state takeover of his troubled bank on Monday. In a speech yesterday Chavez said his government was looking to seize Mezerhane’s assets, including his stake in the channel. Another minority shareholder and former station director, Alberto Ravell, left under murky circumstances in February.

    Staff questioned this week if they would receive their next pay cheque. Government supporters said the channel’s blue logo would soon turn red in honour of Chávez’s socialist revolution.

    The cable news channel reaches few homes outside Caracas but government critics value it for covering opposition marches and lambasting the revolution, most recently over food found rotting in more than 2,300 shipping containers.

    In 2002 Globovisión was one of four private networks which supported a US-backed coup against Chávez, part of a media onslaught against the leftist leader’s effort to transform the South American oil producer. He said the networks were the mouthpieces of oligarchs.

    Since then one of the networks has been pushed off the airwaves and two have neutered their coverage, leaving Globovisión the last opposition TV voice amid proliferating state channels which laud the president.

    Zuloagoa said foreign Chávez supporters, such as the academic Noam Chomsky and actor Sean Penn, should “better inform” themselves about abuses of executive power. “They are being extremely irresponsible and unjust to the Venezuelan people.”

    The TV boss has joined other opposition leaders who have fled – mainly to Colombia, Peru and the US – after being accused of crimes. Others have been jailed in Venezuela.

    In a recent BBC interview Chávez, who has won successive elections, ridiculed the notion of a political crackdown and said courts were punishing corruption. Venezuela enjoyed full freedom of expression, including the freedom to insult the president, he said. Newspaper cartoons regularly lampoon him as an authoritarian jackboot.

    Media watchdogs said the climate for journalists was deteriorating. Last week a court sentenced Francisco Pérez, a columnist for the paper El Carabobeño, to three years and nine months in jail for accusing a “chavista” mayor of nepotism. “It is a brutal, unacceptable judgment with very few international precedents,” said the Brussels-based International Federation of Journalists.

    Two journalists from another paper, La Mañana, are under investigation for their coverage of the rotting food scandal.

    Disponível: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jun/17/venezuelan-tv-boss-flees-regime

    Acesso em: 17/06/2010

    Comentários desativados em Venezuelan TV boss flees ‘regime of terror’

    %d blogueiros gostam disto: